Thank you to everyone that prayed and sent us messages of support for Eloise’s surgery today.
We are exceptionally grateful for all the support and love. We really needed it today and are so incredibly appreciative.
Eloise underwent over 10 hours of intense surgery today and we have just met with the Neurosurgeon to go through the post-operative scans.
It is hard to full absorb all the information and implications from the surgery and scan but here goes:
- The Neurosurgeon (Prof Mallucci) has removed all the solid tumour (Thank you Prof Conor Mallucci and team – we will be forever grateful).
- There is a small amount of tumour boundary/”capsule” that is left on the edge of one of the main veins (~3mm at its thickest – but generally smaller).
- The Neurosurgeon says that there isn’t any solid tumour on the scans and the remaining bit is ‘non-viable’
- From the scans he is confident that there is no evidence of damage to the structures of the brain (We will know more when she wakes up)
- However, the post-operative scans show that she has lots of air on the brain
- Given that Eloise had lots of complications from having air on the brain from her last surgery, the medical team have decided that it is prudent to keep Eloise sedated and in Intensive Care for the night.
- Therefore, Eloise is currently in Paediatric Intensive Care (PICU) and will be woken up tomorrow morning.
- Eloise will stay in PICU until she recovers enough to be moved to the high dependency unit.
- The Neurosurgeon noted that ETMR’s are a very aggressive and that Eloise will need radiotherapy and (probably chemotherapy) very quickly (which we knew).
- Eloise’s MRI images and next steps will be discussed at the MDT meeting on Friday
We will post more in due course but wished to provide a quick update to all those that prayed and have asked for how Eloise is. Apologies for the brevity but, in short:
- We are exceptionally grateful for the amazing skill and perseverance of the Neurosurgeon and his team for successfully removing all the solid tumour and (hopefully) not damaging any of the structures in Eloise’s brain.
- We have mixed emotions about what the ‘residue’ may mean for Eloise and her prognosis and aware that this is the first step along a very thin (and statistically small) road to beating the cancer. Unfortunately, the scans today indicated that the tumour had still grown over the past week, and therefore most likely hadn’t responded to chemotherapy.
- We would value prayers as Eloise comes around tomorrow morning, for protection from side effects and for protection from seizures (like she had after her previous op).
- We would value prayers for the next steps, which need to be decided upon (and acted on) very quickly. We are conscious that next steps are very challenging for ETMRs, so prayers for wisdom as to what chemo and/or focal radiotherapy (and where!) is really needed.